What is a quality website for a search engine?
The notion of quality of a website has become crucial for webmaster since that day of 24 February 2011 when the Panda Update was applied and 12% of sites are seen penalized for a question of quality. But what is quality from the point of view of a search engine?
Quality of a website or page by Google
A summary of the list given by Google to explain the Panda algorithm:
- The article is it written by an expert or an enthusiastic with good knowledge about the subject?
- Is there duplicate content, content overlapping or redundant content on the same topic, with small variations of keywords?
- The article does it contain spelling errors, or bad style or cons-truths?
- The topics are they genuinely chosen or to be better positioned in search results?
- The article gives it an original information, a new story, its own research, a personal analysis?
- The page gives it an added value compared to other pages on the same topic?
- The site is it recognized as an authority on the topic?
- The article is it well written or is it apparently hastily produced?
- The article gives it a complete and exhaustive description of the topic it deals to?
- Articles are they short, without substance or without interest?
- The pages are they produced with great attention to detail or without worrying about details?
Actually we would like Google's results pages containing only these quality sites matching the description it gives!
How does Google know this is a quality site?
There is no absolute criterion for determining the quality of a thing. Longevity and efficiency criteria are commonly used in the real world, but it is difficult to apply them to a website. Different people expect different services and also tastes vary.
In fact Google evaluates sites based on their similarity to a number of sites that were considered good or less good quality by a panel of testers.
It is not essentially design because content farms, the main target of Panda, have a good design and are actually fun to visit. But their content is dull.
It is bad because these sites drain queries with keywords associated with a banal text. There are no links to other sites but instead incitement to visit many other pages on the same site. The pages are all built on the same model. There is never in a a page a graphic element, an image, a type of data that is unique to this page and is not found on all other pages of the site.
So look at the pages of content farms, and do not make a site that looks like this.
See also: Quality of a website for a visitor. Design and overall building.