Linkbait vs landing page
Here is the definition of linkbait by Matt Cutts, a member of the SEO staff at Google:
"Anything interesting enough to catch people's attention".
Forcing attention, causing reflex to add the page to favorites, and to adds a link in its own pages. And that works, the Seomoz.org site for example makes success using only linkbaiting to get links for a test site. One reason for its effectiveness is that adding links on these linkbait articles in a page increases chances to get backlinks for this page also.
This is a technique to improve its position in search results which, as seen in the link above, is approved by Google. Linkbaiting or link baiting is the art of creating articles that bring natural and quality backlinks. It is a white hat technique to get backlinks and thus improve its position in search results.
Linkbaiting may have various forms...
- Provide useful or necessary information. Information that can be given because the author has experience in the field, or because he has a connection with a member of the staffs who informs he. So this form of linkbaiting require you demonstrates firstly that you are a reference in this field.
- A new that you are the first to provide. Or alternatively, the fact that you provide more information than other posts on the subject. This requires learning about topical issues and be ready to provide any relevant information as soon as news come.
- A script, program, a unique Web service , and that the intended audience may find useful.
- For such a product causes links, it must meet for approval. We must express what others think in a way they could not have imagined themselves. The ability to add comments promotes awareness of such articles, even in the case that follows ...
- Or on the contrary, writing a post that goes totally against conventions and which raises many reactions, makes other post refer to this article. Creating controversy is fairly common to be publicized as we know.
- Top 10 or statistics
- Provide top 10 products or sites, or provide unique statistics. In the second case, the site should have an heavy traffic.
- Providing a complete list of websites in a field, a list of software. In some cases you get links from the sites listed also.
- A photo, a video or a story about something unusual. Anthing that is astonishing.
- Unhold proven ideas
- And apply them to new situations. Another recipe from Grandma, but still a way to do more with less.
And a page that attracts links must have some qualities beside the actual content...
- The reader is impressed by what he sees. This may be an accumulation of facts and images that reinforce the impression, or simply the quality of the presentation.
- Why would you link to a page if you doubt the quality of the author to talk about the subject? Gaining recognition as an expert in his field is obviously not easy and can take time. But if it succeeds, is the assurance of seeing backinks flow.
- Number one
- Create in a field some that is the most important resource on the Web. For example, the largest number of tutorials on GIMP. The number 1 always attracts votes, as in sport.
- A touch of humour is always welcome. Without necessarily turn its Web site into humorous place, if you find a funny approach to something that is painful, it is a quality.
- A new angle
- This is the resource of the poor man, but still effective. You need for takes imagination. Talk about what everyone is talking make it difficult to emerge from the anonymity that if we show the facts in a new, unexpected, surprising viewpoint, your article become unique for the same cost.
An indispensable complement in discussion forums.
- And the look and feel
- A crude design with flashy colors, the use of tables for layout,intrusive graphics effects, will void all the benefits that the content might merit: nobody will link to the article.
But what is a "Landing page"?
The concept of linkbait and landing page are linked. The landing page is the page where visitors arrive before moving on to other pages. To do this it must generate backlinks or get a good ranking, so having the characteristics described above.
But the landing page can have different roles and not only bring visitors: this page may be essential for the site because it can sell products, create buzz or any other activity beneficial to the site. This can be a page where lead directly commercials links. For these reasons, a landing page must have other qualities yet. It should be simple to understand and use, and create an action on the site and not outside the site.
It must be focused on a single topic (as opposed to link bait page). The keywords it contains are well defined to make the visitors very concerned about the product or subject and not the greatest number of visitors as possible.
The success of a linkbaiting strategy is generally granted with only two conditions:
- For a reference page, you are an authority in the field and you have trust, and for entertainment your content is innovative.
- Your article should be visible on the Web and read by a sufficient number of people for getting links thanks to link bait. To achieve that, see how to publicize a Web site.
But some of the forms in the list above do not require these conditions, thus choose the sort of linkbaiting that best suits your site, and thus join together in a Web where links do not come from exchange or other such methods but from interesting articles instead...