Surprising facts about Apple
The history of the firm with the apple logo in itself is surprising. Created in a garage in 1976 by two hobbyists, on the verge of bankruptcy in 1997, it recalled its founder that it had fired twelve years earlier. Microsoft had to buy its actions to restore confidence. But then it had success after success with the iPod, iPhone and iPad, and is now one of the most successful IT companies in the world. This is well known. There are other facts about the company that are not so well known.
- Although Apple is praised and appreciated by its innovations, it is actually a company that invents little. One of the technology companies that has the lowest research and development budget: 2% against 14% for Microsoft or Google!
But in 2012, the R&D budget increased by 50%.
- Apple only offers four products: iPhone, iPad, Mac, MacBook. This is part of its secret.
- Desktop computers now represent only 10% of Apple's revenues. There were near 100% before 2008.
Sources of revenues to Apple in 2012
- Market share of Android in 2012 are four times those of iOS in the smartphone. iOS was predominant in the previous year.
- Apple like other Web companies, only pay 1.9% tax outside the USA. Its European headquarters is in Ireland where enterprises only pay 12.5% tax but it manages to pass its operations in tax havens. That in 2012, in 2011 it was 2.5%. It makes use of the "Double Irish with a Dutch sandwich" technique which transit revenues by the Bermuda. So the firm shifts $20 billion per year from the IRS (Source WSJ).
- Although in 2013 it had 145 billion in the bank, Apple has decided to make a loan to pay dividends to shareholders: to use the money it has in the banks it would have to repatriate it in the U.S. and pay full taxes on it!
- Apple has created a tablet before the iPhone, but did not believe to its commercial potential. The first models of iPhone had a classic design when Apple had the idea to apply the principles of the tablet. The success of the iPhone has then encouraged it to sell the tablet.
- As for Alan Turing, Steve Jobs has been poisoned by an apple. The fruit-time diet he followed is far from being something healthy because a lot of fructose promotes the development of cancer, from what he died.
Do not forget the only good diet is a balanced diet.
The actor who played the role in the biopic jOBS tried to follow the same diet and had to spend two days in the hospital. He had severe pancreas problems.
- In 1995, under the direction of Michael Spindler, Apple launched a game console, such as Microsoft will later. Based on technologies of the MacIntosh, it was called Pippin. Sold three times the price of a Nintendo, it was a total commercial failure.
- After several trials for dummy patents, Apple lose a fight to Samsung, and the ITC banned the iPhone 4 to be imported to the USA (it is made in China). The government overturned the ban. Then Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet had this interesting statement:
"Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in this way."To fuly appreciate the irony, see Apple against Samsung....
(August 4, 2013).