Once upon a time Google
Google's philosophy combines what makes the success of Microsoft and Apple combined: Like Microsoft it takes on his own all the products that have success, but like Apple gives them an intuitive user interface. And it is characterized by free, products being financed by advertising.
At Mountain View, California, is the headquarters of the main Web company, the GooglePlex.
Google is not only a search engine, but also a multitude of services and mainly
the monetization of sites and blogs, but also technologies available to Webmasters.
Its objective is: "To organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful". With that well defined philosophy: "The work should be a challenge, and the challenge should be fun."
Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google September 7, 1998 with more than a million
dollars of funds. They had previously registered the domain name on September
15, 1997. They were students at Stanford University and started the engine
as a research project in 1994. It was a program called BackRub who felt the
importance of sites by the number of links pointing on them. The first patent
on the PageRank was filed in September 2001.
The company would be called Googol, for a number of pages with 100 zeros, but the domain name was already in use.
In 1988, 3600 windows were replaced in the future building of Google.
The two students proposed their site to Excite, a leading search engines at the time, that has found no interest in it, and that prompted them to pursue their own business.
In early 1999, Page and Brin have had serious discussions with George Bell, the CEO who has rejected an offer to buy Google for $ 1 million. They then discussed with Vinod Khosla to Offer $ 750,000, also refused. Google is worth 170 billion in 2010.
Who remembers Excite?
The success of the search engine on competitors comes partly from the clean
home page, and partly from the PageRank algorithm, which was providing more
But the fortune of the company comes mainly from Adsense, its democratic advertising system allowing any website to earn income thanks to its contents.
On April 4, 2011 Larry Page, a cofounder of Google replaced Eric Schmidt as CEO. What has changed since then:
- Implementation of Panda, which penalizes 15% of sites in English in the world.
- Move to social networks with the release of Google+.
- Closed July 20 Google Labs, the testing center for new projects.
- The same day, the Google Directory based on Dmoz, is closed.
- Change in people. Women are excluded from management.
Steve Jobs had a mission, shortly before his death, to advise the leaders of other computer companies.
He advised Page to significantly reduce the number of products. Apple has little products, 5 products and its succeeds much.
The council was followed as that can be verified in the obituary of websites. Google has closed a number of sites and services.
Google products? Search, mail, mobile OS, social network, cartography, online apps (Docs), video, netbook OS, programming languages, news, mobile manufacturer, driverless car.
Has Google changed with the new management? In a blog post intitled Why I left Google, a former employee explains Google is now a different company, focused mainly on revenues, without the desire to invent the future.
Investigation for abuse of dominant position has been launched by the Federal Trade Commission in July 2011.
These are many complaints from businesses that feel aggrieved by the practices of search engine that are the source of the survey, which reached the U.S. after the equivalent in Europe.
The main complaint about Google is it does not apply the same rules to its services as competing services, so they arrive at the top of the results whatever they do.
And as the company diversifies more and more, the malcontents are becoming more numerous.
In the worst case this could havelead to the dismantling of the company, but it 2013, this was solved with a fine.
In Europa Foundem and two other firms backed by Microsoft complained to the European Commission to have been removed from Google's search results. These are price comparison sites and Google decided to penalize those sites that only redirect on other sites. Google answered in a post.
Google against the rest of the World
To each successful business on the web, Google is trying to oppose a similar service.
But there are also areas where it is Google the precursor: Maps, Earth. And where it is copied by Microsoft. Another success is Youtube, bought from another enterprise.
Google+ comes after Orkut and Buzz that failed.
For now, Paypal, Craiglist, Digg and Amazon are missing in the list of targets and the field of games where Microsoft is successful.
The Google galaxy
New services are developed by Google Labs, others come from buyout, and then once acquired, almost all become free.
- Search engine
Google is the most used search engine before Yahoo and Bing with
around 60% of Worldwide queries.
But beyond the search engine, Google has also experimental projects. Custom Search in particular allows to create its own engine on Google's index. The Google Anatomy, the architecture of the engine.
- Automated translation
- Unlike other programs that make a grammatical and semantics analysis of sentences, Google uses the texts in several languages in its index, and take infos on these translations to translate the proposed text.
- The Gmail online messaging service has an effective spam filtering and which can be augmented with other services, including research in emails.
- The principle of this system of cost per click or views, based on keywords bids had been invented by Goto.com that then became Overture is used by Adsense and Admob for mobiles.
- Mapping and earth in 3D
- Google Earth show the planet in three dimensions, thanks to satellite supplied images. Earth contains a flight simulator and a driving simulator.
- Social network
After Orkut and Buzz, Google tooks up the problem of the social network from a new angle, mimicking Facebook with improvements in Google+ and the result was very different. This alternative attempts to provide original services and is constantly growing.
- Google App Engine est a free hosting for Web application. It is intended to help startups to build easily a website that combines other Google services such as Maps. It is supplemented by Google Site and Google code for open source projects.
- Videos sharing
- With Youtube.
- Ecological Foundation
- Google.org wants to promote ecology and particularly cleaner energies.
- All the sites of Google.
Software and frameworks
- Browser aimed at improving processing of web applications.
- It is an operating system and a user
interface for mobile phones.
A Java API is provided to enable the development of applications.
- Google OS
- A system for web applications only.
- Free Web service and collaborative cartography. Thanks to the API it is possible to combine maps and services, thus making it possible to locate them.
- Web Toolkit
- The Google Web Toolkit is an Ajax and Java framework to create Web applications. For dedicated hosting.
- Go and Dart
- Programming language for system developers and web apps. See Go and Dart.
- All the tools and services from Google.
Google entered the mobile market on January 5, 2009 with the Nexus One superphone, running Android 2.1, followed by Nexus S. Other devices are planned including a tablet running Chrome OS.
With the acquisition of Motorola Mobility in 2012 it became smartphone manufacturer in its own right.
- Google's servers. How many servers have Google and other enterprises.
- Google Calculator. Eval in the browser.
- Google and programming, pro and cons. (Picture). This is a personal opinion by an ex-employee. Google corporate culture, by the same.
- Takeout. Delete all personal data Google stored about you.
- Financial statistics for Google. And other information on the company.
- Operators of the search engine. How to perform elaborate queries.
- Google's logos. To commemorate some events, Google display a special logo on its home page... the list.
- Google history. Main events.
- Timeline of Google. The first search engine was names Backrub.
- Google and Excite. Brin and Page once expected to sell their search engine to Excite.
- Waving goodbye. A former employee's criticism of the infrastructure of Google. However BigTable is the origin of Cassandra and Protocol Buffers is superior to JSON.
- In defense of Google. By Search Engine Land.