Chrome's performance vs. other browsers
The Betanews site has just published a comparison of the performances of browsers, including the latest versions and even versions under development.
They are compared to Internet Explorer 7. So the next version of Chrome, Chrome 3 will be 16 times faster than IE7!
The comparison takes into account different criteria by combining the results of several testing tools:
- CSS rendering test form howtocreate.uk.
- Basic speed test from Celtic Kane.
- Acid 3 test for compatibility with standard (not a speed test but it weights the speed relative to compliance with the standards).
The results are in the table below:
Web Browsers' Performance Index
Compared to Internet Explorer 7, May 2009
Graph by Betanews.com
Some notable figures on Vista:
- IE8 is two times faster than IE7.
- Firefox 3.5 is nine times faster.
- Safari 4 and Chrome 2 are 12 times faster.
- And the faster is Chrome 3 in development providing the final version keeps its speed.
The graph shows also that XP is faster than Seven that is faster then Vista.
Chrome is thus the ideal browser for web applications!
It is possible to know the memory usage through the task manager but Chrome has its own internal version: press both the SHIFT + ESC keys.