Improving the PageRank
The name PageRank, which is a trademark from Google, is a pun between Page Rank, rank of a page, and Larry Page, one of the two founders of the company, which owes his initial success with the implementation of an algorithm with the same name. This one classifies Web pages according to their popularity on the Web, therefore according to the number of link toward them.
It is about the algorithm described by Larry Page and Sergey Brin
and which is at the origin of Google.
Better PageRank will be obtained by a page with a greater number of links pointing on it but according also to PageRank these pages themselves have. If a page points on several others, the value which it brings is divided by the number of links. But the value which is acquired by links of quality being integrated into the page, it will be transmitted to the pages on which point this page.
In the act of page ranking, PageRank intervenes in a second time: in answer to a query, pages
are selected according to keywords they contain. Then the pages which contain
the same keywords are classified according to a whole of criteria among which
Thus it is possible to reach the top of the results with a null PR, as soon as one is alone to evoke certain keywords. On the other hand,on competing searches, PR is a crucial factor to reach the top.
The PR has also a role in the way a site is crawled:
"The number of pages that we crawl is roughly proportional to your PageRank."
We do not know whether this factor is relevant in 2014 as it now depends on other factors, the value given by Panda, the size of the site.
Legitimate actions that improve the PageRank
There are however honest techniques to increase the PR of a site! One calls that "white hat" SEO or search engine optimization. The best way is to improve the quality of your pages, their originality, but also to review their design.
- Have a well defined topic for each page. It will contain a maximum of different keywords concerning this subject, with all possible synonyms to reach the most concerned visitors.
- Add only very relevant outgoing links on your pages, useful for visitors. But do not omit such links, they are part of the quality of a Web page.
- Put links between the pages of the same site, when they complement each other.
The algorithm of PageRank takes into account backlinks, and also the links of the site towards other pages.
It is a fact the initial algorithm is not used any more from a long time, that is said by Google, but it is confirmed by search engines that outgoing links, if they are relevant and if they point to authority sites, contribute to the ranking of a page.
- To obtain backlinks: create original contents, with an attracting presentation. Prepare and promote the site as described in the SEO tutorial.
- Do not omit the <title> tag, the <h1>, <h2> and other sub-titles. All titles must be appealing, it is necessary that one wants to choose your link in the pages of results of search engines (that is taken into account for later position in the results).
- The text of anchors of internal links is important. It must contain significant words and in connection with the contents of the paragraph.
Artifices prohibited to try to improve PageRank
These artifices are generally detected automatically by Google or through request from competitor who denounce sites using such tricks. The sites using the so called "black hat" SEO can be placed on a blacklist and removed from the index.
One put in the page links invisible to Net surfers, for example with a white color on a white background, but that the robots of search engines take into account since they are unaware of the attributes of presentations like colors.
Consist in creating non visible pages to Net surfer containing quantities of links towards a site which one wants to promote.
It is the use of the "refresh" meta-tag. The page taken into account by the robots is another page of higher PR, and not that which is seen by the reader.
- How Google determines the score of a page. All criteria taken into account beside the PageRank according to a patent deposited in April 2007 by Google.
- Google PageRank, what do we really know about it? List of rules and summary or articles and tools about PR. Not all is true in the article, for exemple: "Adding new pages can decrease Page Rank" is false.
- Analysis of PageRank.